Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ride the Bus

:
USB is taking over tech. Everything charges, connects and controls by USB these days. I just built a new computer and have 10 installed internal USB ports. I am sure I will soon run out though as my current list of devices usually wired in right now totals 7:
  • printer
  • scanner
  • cellphone
  • digital camera
  • soundblaster 5.1 surround
  • palm
  • ipod
That leaves me just 3 empty slots for the various rotating menagerie of thumb drives to which I am addicted. I buy them like candy in a 5 and dime store. Intermittently used devices like my USB rechargeable battery, USB fan, USB light, USB mp3 players (including cool Target mp3 player giftcard) are also loitering all around my computer like cars waiting to board the auto train to Florida.

If you haven't looked into the bevy of mindless devices using Universal Serial Bus technology, take a ride over to sites USB Gadgets and USB Geek to find such treasures as the aroma dispenser:


the doomsday hub:


the desktop Xmas tree:


and the rocket launcher:



But to support all this serial swag you will likely need a USB hub (think of Newark but with fewer gates) as most computers come with only 2 or 3 ports. I've always loved Belkin's computer peripheral products and their hub lines are something to marvel and envy.

The one I'm currently jonesing for is the in-desk hub. You know that waste-of-a-space hole in your desk with that little cover that usually pops out never to be found again?



Perfect use and placement. If you prefer however the Airstream of hubs, this iPod wannabe will do:



This will allow you to load up on lots more USB gadgets. What?! ---you want USB devices that actually are useful? I've previously shown you the recordable turntable and cassette tape player but there's plenty more stuff out there.



USB TV

lighter


Cell extender



send voicemail











microscope

So join the USB Revolution and hop a ride on the Bus.

No comments: